Helping Haven is a great spot where new residents in Second Life can get advice and attend classes! Helping Haven was kind enough to set up an exhibitors booth at our 16 Day Sports Festival! Lily Swindlehurst, one of the owners of Helping Haven was kind enough to answer some questions about the organization:
1. What inspired you to start your business or organization in Second Life?
I had been a helper for several years on another sim, when that area closed four of us, Aullere Ocello, Notfragile Gausman, CharlesDe Beaumont and myself Lily Swindlehurst started up Helping Haven in September 2011. We had found that helping people was something that we all enjoyed and got a lot of satisfaction from.
2. Tell us about your business or organization:
Helping Haven is a team of over 100 voluntary helpers who assist both new and old residents with their Second Life questions and problems. We also offer free classes on various Second Life skills and many events to which all are welcome. We have a website which displays our full calendar as well as more information about Helping Haven: http://helpinghaven.weebly.com
Our SL url is: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Isle%20of%20Creation/11/248/22
3. What are some exciting plans for the future for your business?
We hope to have some live acts soon performing on Haven. We would like to exhibit more at events, such as the Flying Tigers ones and also at SL9 B which we enjoyed. To continue expanding our website.
To have an even more varied class options and bring in new teachers.
4. As you know, our 16 day sports festival is taking place to honor the Olympics. What is your favorite Olympic sport?
5. How long have you been in Second Life?
Over 5 years.
6. What made you first join Second Life?
I read an article in a British newspaper about virtual worlds which sounded interesting.
7. What are some of the strangest things you have experienced or seen in Second Life?
I think maybe some of the amazing places that have been built by residents and also some of the wierd avatars.
8. If you could invite anyone from RL into SL, who would it be?
My best friend.